Program Founder/Director & Clinician
Bernie Ivin is a graduate of Moravian College in Bethlehem, PA and Rutgers University School of Social Work in New Brunswick, NJ. At Moravian Bernie played basketball and earned many athletic honors including small college All-American. In 1998, Bernie was inducted into the Moravian College Sports Hall of Fame, and in 2007 he was named to the Middle Atlantic Conference All-Century Team.
Bernie has devoted his entire professional career to the service of others. In addition to his work as a mental health therapist, Bernie has coached boys’ and girls’ basketball for over 20 years and is a highly regarded coach in the communities he serves. Bernie chose the human services field in large part because of the gratitude he feels for the coaches, teachers and mentors who made a difference in his life. He is driven to give back and to provide others with the love, guidance, and support they need to overcome life’s difficulties and to live healthy and successful lives.
Bernie is a Licensed Clinical Social Worker and Certified Cognitive Behavioral Therapist. He had the good fortune of receiving some of his training directly from Aaron Beck and Albert Ellis, two of the founding fathers of CBT. Bernie’s commitment to specialized training reflects his desire to provide clients with the highest quality of care and service possible.
Bernie is the founder, program director, and clinician at SFC. In addition to his responsibilities at SFC, he has authored and self-published a book titled A Parent’s Handbook: The Essential Guide To Obtaining Counseling Services For Your Child and a multi-media program titled The 1-2-3 Succeed Program: Helping The Capable, But Disorganized & Unmotivated Student.
“After nearly two decades in private practice, what I have learned the most is that the human spirit is strong, resilient, and capable of greatness. It is this knowledge that keeps me eternally optimistic and motivated to assist my clients in discovering this truth about themselves.”
- Licensed Clinical Social Worker, State of New Jersey
- Certified Cognitive Behavioral Therapist
- Masters in Clinical Social Work, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ
- BA, Moravian College, Bethlehem, PA
- Certified Clinical Supervisor
- Certified School Social Worker, State of New Jersey
- Certified Eye Movement Desensitization Reprocessing Therapist
- Extensive Training in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
- Extensive Training in Substance Abuse & Addiction Treatment
- Extensive Training in Interpersonal & Marital Therapy
Relevant Work Experience/History
- 20 Plus Years of Clinical Experience
- *1998-Present: Program Director, Clinician, Strength for Change, LLC,
Mt. Arlington, NJ
- Clinician, Family Services of Morris County, Flanders, NJ
- Student Assistance Coordinator, Mountain Lakes & Randolph School Districts, NJ
- Crisis Counselor, New York City Board of Education, Bronx, NY
- Mental Health Associate, Fair Oaks Hospital, Summit, NJ
- Adolescents/Teenagers (11 to 17) and Their Families
- Adults (18 to 75)
- Depression (Major Depression, Dysthymia, Bi-Polar Disorder)
- Anxiety (Social Anxiety, General Anxiety, Phobia, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder)
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (Sexual Abuse, Natural Disasters, Accidents, the Death of a Loved One)
- ADHD (Inattentive Type, Hyperactive Type, Combined Type)
- Eating Disorders (Anorexia, Bulimia)
- Substance Abuse Disorders (All Forms of Addictive Behavior)
- Marital Problems
- Life Stressors (Family, Academic/Learning, Social, Employment and Developmental Problems)
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
- Motivational Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
- Dialectic Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
- Eye Movement Desensitization Reprocessing Therapy
- Gottman Marital Therapy
- Family & Parent Coaching Therapy
- Network Therapy for the Treatment of Substance Abuse
- Motivational Interviewing
To learn more about our services and fees, or to schedule an appointment, please contact us now.
* Please note that our clinicians are independent contractors and not employees of Strength for Change, LLC. Each clinician is independently licensed and insured and takes sole responsibility for his or her clients and the quality of care provided.